We work in partnership with children, young people, families and other agencies to meet the needs of children and young people with disabilities by organising and providing a wide range of support and services.
Grants available to support short breaks for disabled children and their families
Following on from the success of last year, we are rolling out the allocation of small grants again. This is part of Knowsley’s Short Breaks Programme and will support organisations working to improve the lives of disabled children and their families in Knowsley.
Grants are available for up to a maximum of £5,000 to help local projects get up and running, enhancing the Knowsley Short Breaks offer for children with disabilities and their families.
The initiative is part of the wider range of services available to parents and carers of children with disabilities and special needs (SEND) called the ‘Local Offer’.
In order to be eligible to apply for a Short Breaks small grant, the project must meet at least one of the following categories that have been developed for 2022/23 in consultation with parents/carers:
- Providing short break activities for children and young people with disability needs with a particular focus on: mixed activity fun days; cooking and outdoor adventures.
- Providing short break activities for young people aged 19-25 promoting independence skills and supporting transitions to adulthood.
- Delivering support to parents/carers of children and young people with a disability (e.g. parent support groups, workshops, etc)
- Supporting families with a child/ren with additional needs aged 0-4 (e.g. stay & play, outreach, network groups, etc)
- Whole family activities/events (e.g. involving parents & siblings in events, trips out, regular gatherings/groups, etc – however please see further info within Financial Eligibility section)
Please read the documents below
Download the application form
The deadline for Short Breaks Small Grants is Monday 16 May 2022 at 5pm
Once you are happy with the submission, please email your completed application form to email@example.com by the published closing date. If you have any issues in emailing your form, please call 07385084665
Our short breaks service aims to give parents or carers of a child or young person with a disability a break from their caring role. It also enables the child or young person to join in with fun activities and swim sessions that they could not ordinarily enjoy.
Our Short Breaks Duty Statement gives more information on eligibility and how to access our short breaks if mainstream activities have been unsuccessful for your child.
Our Early Help Children with Disabilities team can offer advice and support to families with a child with a disability. You can contact them on 0151 443 2677 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our short breaks provision is part of a wider network of services and support available to parents and carers of children with disabilities and special educational needs (SEND) called the Local Offer.
Specialist support is provided by Children’s Social Care. If your child or young person is assessed as eligible for specialist services, a supporting package of care may be created to meet your child and family’s individual needs. You may also be given the option to receive a direct payment to purchase the support for your child yourself, in line with your child’s assessed need and care plan.
For further information, please visit the Children with Disabilities Service webpage.