Local land charges - privacy notice

Who To Contact

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Who will own my data once I submit it?

Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council.
Please read the council’s general privacy notice alongside this notice.

Why do you need my information?

We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:

  • We use your personal information in order to deal with service requests that we receive in relation to land charges, personal searches and other property information searches (the Property Search Information Search)
  • To complete and return the searches submitted to the council’s Property Search Information Service
  • For the prevention and detection of crime and fraud

 We only obtain and use the information we need to provide our services to you.  We do not obtain and use special category information.


What allows you to use my information?

  The council has a lawful basis for collecting information about you for Land Charges and other Property Searches purposes so that we can fulfil our statutory obligations. While on an occasion where the service being provided falls outside of the services we are obliged to provide, then we may also rely on the contractual terms under which the council’s Property Search Information Service operates.

We process your data under the following acts:

  • Data Protection Act 2018
  • Highways Act 1980
  • Local Government Act 1972
  • Localism Act 2011
  • Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  • Local Land Charges Act 1975
  • Local Land Charges Rules 1977
  • Infrastructure Act 2015

 The above list is not exhaustive.

Who will my information be shared with?


We will share your information with Her Majesty’s Land Registry (HMLR) who will process your data on the Council’s behalf, under the terms of a collaboration agreement, for the purpose of testing and then the transfer of the council’s data in support of a move to the eventual transfer of the local land charges service to the HMLR. No date for this transfer of this service has yet been agreed. The council remain the Data Controller with the HMLR acting as the Data Processor for Local Authority data shared as part of this agreement. However, the HMLR will be a Data Controller where they are undertaking their statutory powers under the Infrastructure Act. You can read more about the HMLR Local Land Charges Programme via the link below:

Local Land Charges Programme - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
You can read more about how the HMLR will protect any data provided to it within the HLMR personal information charter which you can access via the link below:
Personal information charter - HM Land Registry - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
In addition, the council may also share your information with the following third parties in line with the lawful basis’s outlined above:

  • Other council departments such as Planning, Highways, Environmental Health, Finance etc
  • Other local authorities or public sector bodies
  • National Land Information Service (NLIS)
  • Personal Search companies
  • External lawyers
  • Police

Data will only be shared where it is lawful to do so and the necessary arrangements are in place to comply with UK GDPR for any routine sharing of information.
We may be required to disclose information about you in other specific situations such as:

  • Where we are required to disclose information by law
  • When disclosing the information is required to prevent or detect crime
  • When disclosure is in the vital interests of the person concerned

We will not sell or loan your information to third parties. We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.

Do I have to provide this information and what will happen if I don’t?

 If you do not provide this information the council will be unable to deliver this service/function and reply to any search request made by you or on your behalf.

How long will you keep this data for and why?

We will keep your personal data in accordance with our retention schedule, unless you explicitly request it to be removed under UK GDPR information rights. This right to have your data removed is not an absolute right, for example, we will need to retain your data if this information forms part of a legal requirement, public registry or an existing contract.
We want to ensure any information we hold is accurate. You can help us by promptly informing us of any changes to the information we hold about you.
Processing of land and property search enquiries are retained for a period of 6 years after date created.

How will my information be stored?
We are strongly committed to data security and will take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, loss, misuse, alteration or corruption. We have put in place physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard the personal information that we hold.

We do not currently transfer your data to any third country or international organisation.

Will this information be used to take automated decisions about me?


Will my data be transferred abroad and why? 


What rights do I have when it comes to my data?

 Under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018/ UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR), you have the following rights with regards to your personal data: 
  • The right to subject access – you have the right to see a copy of the personal data that the council holds about you and find out what it is used for
  • The right to rectification – you have the right to ask the council to correct or remove any inaccurate data that we hold about you.
  • The right to erasure (right to be forgotten) you have the right to ask the council to remove data that we hold about you
  • The right to restriction – you have the right to ask for your information to be restricted (locked down) on council systems
  • The right to data portability – you have the right to ask for your data to be transferred back to you or to a new provider at your request
  • The right to object – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your personal data or to stop sending you marketing information, or complain about how your data is used
  • The right to prevent automated decision making – you have the right to ask the council to stop using your data to make automated decisions about you or to stop profiling your behaviour (where applicable)

To find out more about your rights under the DPA 2018/UK GDPR, please visit the Information Commissioner’s website.
To request a copy of your data or ask questions about how it is used, please download a copy of our form and send it to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Westmorland Road
L36 9GL
Or email: [email protected]
Please be aware there are a number of rights that you may exercise depending on the legal basis for processing your personal data. In most cases, these rights are not absolute and there may be compelling or overriding legal reasons why we cannot meet these rights in full. This will be explained to you in more detail should you contact us for any of the reasons detailed above.
Additionally, where the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, in most circumstances, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time and we will act on your instructions.

Who can I complain to if I am unhappy about how my data is used?

 You can complain directly to the Council’s Data Protection Team by writing to: -

Data Protection Officer
Knowsley Council
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Or email: [email protected]
You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office using the following details: -
The Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone: 08456 30 60 60 or 01625 54 57 45
Website: www.ico.org.uk

Chat with us