Our corporate address management procedure
Our corporate address management procedure document sets out the procedures for allocation, management and use of all addresses.
You need to register a new road name or postal address if you want to:
- Build new houses, commercial or industrial premises
- Convert existing buildings to create new accommodation
- Rename or renumber an existing building
- You must register a postal address as soon you receive building and planning regulation approval.
How to register a new address
- Download and complete the street name request form
- Accompany your form with plans showing:
- Your development in relation to any existing streets and the means of access
- A plan of the development clearly marked with the plot numbers
- An internal layout plan, if appropriate (for example, for a block of apartments). The main entrance to the block should be clearly marked.
- Send your form to:
Planning and Building Control
PO Box 26
or by email to: email@example.com
What it costs
Street naming and numbering charges
Approving your address
Once approved, we will notify statutory authorities and emergency services, as well as Royal Mail, who are responsible for allocating postcodes, about the new address.
Once allocated to a building, owners or occupiers must make sure the name or number is visible from the street. You may be subject to enforcement action if your property name or number is not visible from the street, or you use an unapproved name or number.