Conservation Areas

A conservation area is an area of special architectural or historic interest with a character or appearance that it is desirable to preserve or enhance.  Knowsley Council has a statutory duty to review its area from time to time and accordingly designate new areas, or review the boundaries of existing conservation areas. 

Conservation areas are varied in their character.  They may for example include the historic parts of a town or village, have an important industrial past or, include historic parks. Such areas will include some historic buildings, and some may be listed.  However, it is the quality and interest of the area as a whole, which underpins the designation.  In addition to historic buildings other features which are likely to contribute to the character or historic interest of conservation areas include the spaces around buildings, views and vistas, historic street patterns, gardens (public and private), historic elements of the public realm, trees and field systems, and the setting of the conservation area. 

In order to protect the special interest of conservation areas new development, works of demolition and work to trees are subject to tighter restrictions within the planning system.

The 15 conservation areas in Knowsley are listed below together with links to their conservation area appraisals and management plans where available.  Those marked with a * are subject to Article 4 Directions:

Prescot Town Centre

Old Hall Lane, Kirkby

Ingoe Lane, Kirkby*

Ribblers Lane, Kirkby

North Park Road and South Park Road, Kirkby

St Michael’s Church, Huyton*

The Orchard

Victoria Road and Huyton Church Road


Halewood Village

Knowsley Village*

Tarbock Village

Tarbock Green

Town End, Cronton

You will need Adobe Acrobat to view PDF documents. If you do not already have this, you can download it from the Adobe website. If you require any documents in an accessible format please call 0151 443 2302 or email [email protected].

How do I find out if a property is within a conservation area?

To find out if a property is in a conservation area please use the online mapping system, or contact Planning Services for clarification.

Do I need permission for work to a tree?

For advice regarding trees in conservation areas see work on a protected tree.

Will I need planning permission for development in a conservation area?

It is always recommended that you check whether you need consent, before making arrangements to start any work. NB if your building is also a listed building, Listed Building Consent may be additionally required.
Under The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 certain works may be undertaken without the need for planning permission, and are known as 'permitted development'. Within conservation areas the extent of permitted development is reduced in order to protect their special character.  This means that in conservation areas a greater range of alterations and additions need planning permission.  You may require planning permission for extensions, garages, sheds, shopfronts, applying cladding or render, satellite dishes, micro-generation equipment, and erecting boundary fences or walls.  This list is not exhaustive because in addition to the standard requirements, the Council can change the types of development that need permission by making Article 4 Directions, or can remove rights through imposing planning conditions.

General information for householders is available on the Planning Portal or you can contact Planning Services directly. 

Development affecting conservation areas or their settings will be expected to be of high quality design which relates to its context.  See Knowsley’s published Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) for further guidance.

What is an Article 4 Direction?

The designation of a conservation area alone does not mean planning permission is required for all forms of development within them.  Within conservation areas there are a range of ‘permitted development’ rights whereby certain types works can be undertaken without planning permission being required.  This means that the character and appearance of conservation areas can be negatively affected by the cumulative effect of inappropriate minor changes.  Article 4 Directions are a special kind of planning regulation which allows the Council to remove certain ‘permitted development’ rights, meaning that a greater range of work requires planning permission.

Which conservation areas have an Article 4 Direction in place?

Article 4 Directions are currently in effect in three conservation areas in Knowsley, these are:

We may seek to revise these Article 4 Directions or put additional Article 4 Directions in place in the future.

What are the implications of the Article 4 Directions?

Where the Article 4 Directions are in place, the following require permission:

  • extension, or alteration to a dwellinghouse including replacement windows and doors, alterations to roofing materials and fascias and construction of conservatories
  • construction of a porch
  • erection of boundary treatments
  • construction of, or alterations to, an outbuilding/garage/shed
  • painting the exterior of certain properties.

If you're unsure whether a property may be covered by an Article 4 Direction, or you require further advice, please contact the Conservation Officer on 0151 443 2780.

Do I need permission to demolish a building or structure in a conservation area?

Planning Permission for ‘relevant demolition’ is required for almost any works for the demolition of all, or almost all of any building within a Conservation Area.  This includes any building over 115 cu m in volume (measured externally) and substantial demolition of boundary walls, fences or gates that are more than one metre high fronting onto a highway, public right of way or open space, or higher than two metres elsewhere.  It is a criminal offence to fail to obtain the appropriate consent before undertaking demolition work.  Further advice on the type of work which is considered ‘relevant demolition’ is available on Historic England’s website.  If you are in any doubt as to whether you require consent for works you should contact Planning Services for advice.

Where the building makes a positive contribution to the conservation area, there is a general presumption in favour of retaining it.  If you wish to demolish a building, full justification will be required e.g. proposals may need to be supported by a full structural engineers survey and heritage appraisal of the building or structure.  Any demolition and/or rebuilding of boundary walls and other means of enclosure should indicate proposals for replacements and information on landscaping and surfacing. If the building in question makes no contribution to the special interest of the area, the granting of consent may be dependent on there being acceptable and timely plans for redevelopment.  To apply for planning permission for relevant demolition please see below.

Please note that if a property proposed to be substantially demolished is also a Listed Building.  You would need to apply for Listed Building Consent only.  

Making an application

If you would like informal advice as to whether your proposals are likely to be granted permission, you should submit a pre-application request for advice.  A charge is made for this service. 

Applications affecting conservation areas or their settings are required to be supported by a heritage statement. In some circumstances you will also require a Design and Access Statement, which can be combined with the heritage statement.

Application forms, guidance notes on how to complete each form and checklists for the information required are available to download in PDF format from the Planning Portal website using the links below.
If you prefer to submit your application by post, please print and complete the appropriate form and return to the address below, or by using a drop-off letterbox on the right side of Huyton Municipal Building main entrance (please make sure information is enveloped and clearly labelled for the attention of ‘Planning Services’).

Before submitting your application, please make sure you have enclosed the relevant documents and included the appropriate application fee.

1. Use this form to apply for planning permission for works of extension or alteration to a dwelling
Application Forms and Guidance Notes

2. Use this form to apply for planning permission for works of extension or alteration to land other than a single dwelling
Application Forms and Guidance Notes

3. Use this form to apply for planning permission for works of extension or alteration to a dwelling including relevant demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area:
Householder planning and relevant demolition (file size 451KB)
Guidance notes (file size 45.5KB)

4. Use this form to apply for non-householder (full) planning permission including relevant demolition of an unlisted building in a conservation area:
Planning Consent including works for relevant demolition  (file size 486KB)
Guidance notes (file size 89.6KB)

5. Use this form to apply for planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area for an unlisted building: 
Planning permission for relevant demolition (file size 444KB)
Guidance notes (file size 31.7KB)


Chat with us