Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Who To Contact

Knowsley Register Office
High Street, Prescot
L34 3LD
Opening times: 9am - 5pm Mon to Fri

Telephone: 0151 443 2900

Email: [email protected]



Changes for those subject to immigration control

Immigration laws will change from 1 July 2021 to reflect Britain’s exit from the EU. This will impact the process of taking notice of marriage and civil partnership.

All register offices in England and Wales will become a designated office, this means that where one or both parties is subject to immigration control, notice of marriage or civil partnership will need to be given together at a district where either one or both parties reside. 

If either party to the marriage or civil partnership is a national of an EU country and does not have settled or pre settled status (or a pending application made before 30 June 2021), or is a national of a non EU country, you may be subject to immigration control.  Please contact us on 0151 443 2900, option 3, for further guidance on giving notice.     

The information below relates to marriage or civil partnership in England and Wales where both parties are;   

  • British or Irish Nationals; or
  • have EU settled status, pre settled status or a pending application (made before 30th June 2021) and can provide a share code from the Home Office

You must make an appointment at the register office in the district where you have lived for the last seven full days prior to giving notice.  Each partner is required to give an individual notice. 

If you live in Knowsley you can book an appointment online or by telephoning 0151 443 2900.

What documents do we need to bring to our appointment?

To prove your nationality, age and name, you will need to bring your current passport.

If you are British and do not have a current passport, your full British birth certificate (for nationality and age) along with a proof of name document for example a UK drivers licence (photo). 

If you are bringing your full British birth certificate and you were born in the UK after 1 January 1983, you will also need to provide evidence of the nationality of your parents. 

Please contact us on 0151 443 2900, option 3, for further guidance on acceptable documents.


For proof of residence you will each need to bring one of the following;

  • a current UK drivers licence or
  • a bank /building society statement dated within 1 month of your appointment
  • your council tax bill dated with the last 12 months
  • a utility bill dated within the last three months, this is for services received at the property but not a mobile phone bill.

If you have EU settled or pre settled status we will require a share code dated within 30 days of your appointment, please visit

What if I have been married or entered into a civil partnership before?

If either of you has been married or in a civil partnership before (in the UK or abroad), you will need to provide evidence that you are free to marry.

  • If either of you has been divorced from a marriage or has obtained dissolution from a civil partnership in England or Wales, we will need to see the original court stamped decree absolute/dissolution. This must be a paper copy. Please note that, if the name appearing on this document differs from the name on the other documentation being provided for notice of marriage, a linking document must be provided (e.g. previous marriage certificate).
  • If you were divorced abroad we need to see an English translation of the original documents issued by that country. If no documents were issued, we will tell you what we count as acceptable proof of divorce.
  • If you are widowed, we need to see a certified copy of your partner's death certificate.
  • If you have already married each other abroad, you will only need to marry here if you don’t think the marriage is legal.
  • If you are under eighteen, we need to see proof that your parents agree to the marriage. If your parents are divorced, we may need to see the custodial court order. Please speak to the register office for further information.


The fee for each notice is £35 and is payable at the time of giving the notice of marriage or civil partnership.
Fees for your ceremony will vary depending on the venue and day of the week.

What happens after we give notice of marriage or civil partnership?

Your notice will be displayed on the public notice board at the register office for 28 clear days.  A marriage or civil partnership schedule will then be issued by the marriage district. The schedule is valid for 12 months from the date you gave notice (only for the venue you have specified).

Church of England

If you are getting married in the Church of England, please contact the Vicar of the church for advice on legal requirements for marriages and fees.

Marriage and Civil Partnership – Special Licence

If someone or their partner has a terminal illness it is possible to get a licence to marry or form a civil partnership very quickly without having to give the usual statutory notices. You will need to speak to a Registrar who can provide further information. Please contact the office on 0151 443 2900.  If you call out of office hours, please follow the instructions provided on the telephone message.

Abuse of immigration laws

We are working with the UK Border Agency to identify marriages and civil partnerships which seek to abuse UK immigration laws.

Anybody found to be arranging, facilitating or entering into a marriage or civil partnership solely to gain permission to stay in the UK risks arrest or prosecution.

Foreign nationals may also face deportation and be barred from re-entering the UK for up to 14 years.


Book an appointment online

Chat with us