Gambling Licences

Who To Contact

Licensing Service
Environmental Health and Consumer Protection
2nd Floor, Yorkon Building
Archway Road
L36 9FB

Telephone: 0151 443 2300


Under the Gambling Act 2005, the council is responsible for operating licences, personal licences and premise licences such as casinos, bingo and betting premises.

Licence premises for gambling (casino, bingo and betting premises - including tracks, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres).

  • Look at notices given for the temporary use of premises for gambling.
  • Grant permits for gaming and gaming machines in clubs and miners' welfare institutes.
  • Regulate gaming and gaming machines in alcohol licensed premises.
  • Grant permits to family entertainment centres for the use of certain lower stake gaming machines.
  • Grant permits for prize gaming.
  • Look at occasional use notices for betting at tracks.
  • Register small societies’ lotteries.

The act says that (except in the case of tracks) only people who hold, or have applied for an operating licence from the Gambling Commission may apply to the council's licensing authority for a premises licence.

For further information about gambling related licences and how to apply, contact the Licensing Section in the Huyton One Stop Shop, open 9am - 2.30pm on weekdays or via email at: 

The Gambling Commission’s website also provides a wealth of further information about the Gambling Act legislative provisions.

Gambling Policy

Knowsley Council has approved its revised Statement of Gambling Principles 2019 - 2021 and the new policy came into effect on 1 January 2019. Formal notification of the publication of the revised policy is detailed in the document.

Gambling Statement of Licensing Principles – Review

Under the Gambling Act 2005 the council is required to review its policy every three years or when the council believes the policy requires updating. Part of the review process it to consult with those bodies and/or persons that may be affected.

Our formal consultation period has now begun and will run until 22 August 2021. Download the Draft Gambling Policy

Should you wish to comment on the statement you could do so by:

  1. Sending a letter with your comments to Licensing Team, Second Floor Huyton Municipal Buildings, Archway Road Huyton Knowsley L36. 

  2. Sending an e-mail to