Child employment work permits

Who To Contact

School Attendance Service
c/o Huyton Municipal Buildings
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Telephone: 0151 4435134


Many children benefit from the experience of part time work.

The types of work which they can perform are regulated by local byelaws and national legislation, see our advice leaflet for more information (PDF42KB).

A child may be employed if:

  • They are over 13 years of age
  • Have a work permit or the application has been sent to the local authority
  • They have suitable clothes and shoes for the job
  • They are employed in light work
  • The role is a not restricted due to its nature

The School Attendance Service in Knowsley has the responsibility for issuing Child Employment licences. In considering an application the child’s attendance at school is taken into account, if a licence is granted and the work appears to affect the child’s education or their health and well being the licence could be reconsidered.

The School Attendance Service also investigates the illegal employment of children.

The types of work a child can be employed in:

  • Delivering newspapers
  • Shop work and stacking shelves
  • Hairdressing salon
  • A café or restaurant
  • Office work
  • Car washing by hand
  • Riding stables
  • Domestic work in a hotel
  • Working in a garden or allotment

(See Byelaws below for a full list of permitted and restricted types of work.)

The hours of work for child employment

In summary, all children above 13 years of age can work two hours on a school day after 7am and before 7pm. One hour of work only is permitted in the morning. The child can work two hours on a Sunday. No child can work more than 12 hours in any school week. With regards to Saturdays working hours and holiday work hours, this varies with the age of the child.

13 to 14 years of age can work up to five hours on a Saturday and in school holidays they can work up to five hours a day from Monday to Saturday and no more than 25 hours a week. (See attached guidance below.)

15 to 16 years of age can work up to eight hours on a Saturday and in school holidays they can work up to eight hours a day from Monday to Saturday and no more than 35 hours a week. (See attached guidance below.)

Any child who is working even if they are not getting paid or if it is work for a family business will need a work permit.

The receipt of a National Insurance Card does not indicate that a young person is able to take up full time work. A child ceases to be of compulsory school age on the last Friday in June in the school year in which they reach 16 years of age. At this point a child can start full time work and at this point in time a work permit is no longer required.

How to apply

Please find a copy of the work permit application and guidance as attachments below

This should be filled in by both employer and parent with two photos and a copy of the child’s birth certificate. The licence is free to apply for and receive.

Failure to comply with the Byelaws

An employer may be fined up to level 3 on the standard scale (£1000) if they contravene sections 18 and 20 of the Children and Young Persons Act 1933.


Chat with us