Scrap metal and motor salvage


As of 5 April 2022 it is a legal requirement that all renewal applicants for:
  • Scrap Metal Licences
  • Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Drivers
  • Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Vehicle owners
  • Private Hire Operators
MUST provide a tax check code to Licensing before renewal if;
They are renewing a current or licence that expired more than one year ago.
If a renewal applicant does not have a Government Gateway Account they must go online and create a Government Gateway account. Further guidance can be found on the website.
If applying for a new licence or for one held which expired more than one year ago applicants need to follow the HMRC Guidance. Visit the website
Please note that any check code is valid for 120 days only and even if applicants have a code as a driver, if they wish to be an owner or operator they need to provide a further code before being licensed.

The Scrap Metal Dealers Act came into force on 1st October 2013. All dealers must apply for a licence under this act.

What type of licences are there?

There are two types of licence – a site licence or a collector's licence.
A site licence
A site licence allows you to trade as a scrap metal dealer at any site, or multiple sites, within the Borough of Knowsley. If you also want to trade in another local authority you will need to apply for a licence from them too.  A site licence is also required where a premises is used in the course of carrying on business as a scrap metal dealer, whether metal is kept there or not.
A collector’s licence
A collector’s licence allows you to trade as a mobile collector and sell or dispose of metal within the Borough of Knowsley.  This includes the sale and disposal of salvageable parts from motor vehicles.
You cannot hold a site licence and a collector’s licence within the one authority area, but you can apply for a site licence with one local authority and a collector’s licence with another local authority.

How to apply

There is one application form for both types of licence.  Please complete the relevant parts.
Download application form.

Please return this by email to [email protected] attaching the documents below.

What documents will I need?

We will ask you to present the following documents with your application. Scans or clear photographs of these will be accepted via email in the interim.

Documents you need to bring Site licence - company (fee TBC) Site licence - sole trader or partnership (fee TBC) Mobile collector (fee TBC) Variation of site or collector's licence (fee TBC) Duplicate licence for site or collector (fee TBC)
Basic disclosure certificate Yes Yes Yes    
Photographic IDwhich must be a Passport OR Driver’s Licence   Yes Yes    
Proof of address which must be any two of these:
Bank Statement
Utility Bill
Mortgage Statement
Council Tax Bill
Credit Card Statement
  Yes Yes Yes Yes

Further information

Chat with us