Civil wedding premises licence

Who To Contact

Licensing Section
Municipal Building
Archway Road
L36 9YU

Telephone: 0151 443 2300

Email: [email protected]


There is no longer access to a Licensing Counter Service.
In respect of applications for Marriage Venues, tacit consent does not apply.

The council is dependent on the ability of other parties involved in the licensing process to be able to carry out certain inspections, as well as a consultation period, before being able to issue this type of licence.

Should you wish to renew an existing Marriage Venue Licence, then provided you have submitted an application to us no later than 1 month after the existing licence expires, your current licence will be deemed to continue while the council deals with your renewal application.

If you want your premises licensed to hold civil weddings you must contact Knowsley’s Licensing Section for an application form.

Enclose a cheque for £1,265 to Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council. This covers the cost of approval for three years. The renewal fee is £698.50.
Please note that if your application is unsuccessful, the fee will not be refunded.

Once we have received your application, we will contact you to arrange an inspection of your premises.

Planning permission

If you think you need planning permission or are uncertain, please contact the Planning Department on 0151 443 2380 or email [email protected] before completing the application form.

Chat with us