Animal Licences

Who To Contact

Environmental Health and
Consumer Protection Service

Yorkon Building
Archway Road
L36 9FB

Telephone: 0151 443 4712

Fax Number: 0151 443 5438

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Regulations 2018

Read the regulations.

The law governing the licensing of animal welfare establishments has changed from 1 October 2018. This brings a much needed update to the licensing of animal activities.

What animal activities require an animal license?

The new regulations apply to certain activities involving animals, including:

  • Dog breeding

  • Dog boarding in kennels and home boarding of dogs

  • Dog day care

  • Cat boarding

  • Selling animals as pets

  • Exhibition of animals

  • Hiring out horses


Regulatory guidance has been produced for all the above activities can be found by following the links on the left hand side of this page.


The following animal licenses are largely unaffected by the new regulations:

  • Zoo licensing

  • Exotic, dangerous or wild animal licensing


What happens next?


The council is currently in the process of reviewing the new legislation and guidance. As a result licence conditions will be changed and our fees and procedures will also need to be adjusted. If you have an animal license with Knowsley Council, we will contact you to let you know what the next steps are. In the meantime, you should review the above guidance to see how the changes might impact on your business.

A list of premises licensed by the council can be found here.

New applications

Anyone wishing to apply for a new license is strongly advised to contact Environmental Health before making an application.