Council tax is paid by every home and helps to pay for essential services like schools and emergency services. It is billed yearly, but payments are spread over ten months. This can, on request, be spread over 12 months.
The amount of council tax you pay depends on the valuation band your home is placed in, which is based on your home’s value in 1991. Paying council tax is usually the responsibility of the homeowner or the person renting the property.
Valuation bands and charges
Every home is placed in one of the bands below. This is calculated by the Valuation Office Agency and is based on what your property was worth on 1 April 1991, not what it would be worth today.
The bands are:
- Band A – Up to and including £40,000
- Band B - £40,001 - £52,000
- Band C - £52,001 - £68,000
- Band D - £68,001 - £88,000
- Band E - £88,001 - £120,000
- Band F - £120,001 - £160,000
- Band G - £160,001 - £320,000
- Band H – More than £320,000
Charges for 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018
|All other parts of the council’s area
If you feel you are in the wrong council tax band, you can appeal to have your banding reviewed.
Council tax reduction (rebate)
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to receive a council tax reduction. To make a claim, you will need to complete an online application form.
How to pay your council tax
You can pay your council tax in several ways:
- Pay online
- Set up a Direct Debit request
- Pay in person at any One Stop Shop by cash, cheque or card
- Call 0151 489 6000
- At any shop displaying the Paypoint symbol
- By cheque and postal order to: The Executive Director (Resources), Municipal Buildings, Archway Road, Huyton, L36 9YU. Cross cheques and postal orders and make them payable to ‘Metropolitan Borough of Knowsley’. Please quote your council tax account number on the back of your cheque or postal order.
- Set up a standing order. Our bank account details are: Sort code: 20-50-94, Account number: 73951685. Quote your council tax number, including the ‘CT’ prefix.
You must be the account holder to set up any of these payment methods.
Manage your payments online
View your council tax bill, payments and benefits online.
Council tax reductions, discounts and exemptions
Depending on your circumstances, you may be entitled to a council tax reduction or other discounts and exemptions.
Advice if you can't pay your council tax
Click here for more information.
Leaflets and guides
We have produced a number of advice leaflets. If you prefer to read them in hard copy, please contact us.