Adoption gives children who are unable to live with their birth parents or extended birth family a permanent family. Adoptive parents have all the legal responsibilities, rights and duties of birth parents.
Children of all ages and needs are waiting to be adopted. Adoptive parents are particularly needed for groups of brothers and sisters, older children and those with special or complex needs.
Who can adopt
You can adopt if you:
- Are over 21. There is no upper age limit, but you have to be healthy enough to see your adoptive child into adult life.
- Are married, single, gay, lesbian or in a same gender relationship
- Are employed (full or part-time) or unemployed
- Are a home owner or tenant
- Have a criminal conviction or caution. This depends on the seriousness of the offence, how long ago the crime was committed and how you have lived your life since.
- Have children of your own. A minimum age gap of two years between any birth children and an adopted child is usually advised.
- Smoke. But you will not be able to adopt a child under five.
- Are disabled or have a health problem. Your health will be assessed as part of the approval process to make sure you are able to care for a child.
- Six months have passed since you completed your last fertility treatment.
- Live outside Knowsley. Applications will be considered from people living within a 35 miles radius.
Who can’t adopt
You won’t be able to adopt if you:
- Have convictions for violent offences or sexual offences against children.
- Do not live in the UK
- Are under 21
We have joined together with Halton Council and Cheshire West and Chester Council to improve the possibilities of matching children for adoption with families in the region, our collaboration is called Together4adoption.
Adopt North West
We are part of Adopt North West which is made up of 22 local councils who have come together to help make adoption a quicker and simpler process.
Tel: 0333 4001230
Please see our adoption frequently asked questions
Request an Information Pack
Simply fill in your details below and we’ll post an Information Pack straight to you.