From 1 August 2011, new bye-laws have been adopted to ensure that businesses have adequate cleanliness in place for a wider range of cosmetic treatments.
The new bye-laws under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 require you to register with the Council before carrying out:
- Semi-permanent skin-colouring (also known as semi permanent make up or micro pigmentation)
- Cosmetic piercing (including body and ear piercing)
If you are already registered for activities under the previous bye-laws (included acupuncture, tattooing, ear piercing and electrolysis) you do not have to re-register.
The requirements of the bye-laws include:
- The premises, furniture and fittings are kept clean and in good repair
- Needles and equipment should be disposable or sterilized for each treatment
- Protective clothing, towels and cloths must be clean and in good repair
- Waste material from the treatments must be correctly handled and disposed
- Good personal hygiene standards of operators
Registration is required for the premises where the activity will take place and also personal registration for each person who will carry out the treatment.
It is an offence to carry on such a business without being registered, to carry on such a business in premises that is not registered for that purpose or to breach the byelaws.
The licence fees for 2015-16 are:
- Premises registration plus one person £93
- Further personal registration £40
How to apply
Please download, complete and return the application form with the correct fee.