Street Trading Consents

Who To Contact

Licensing Section
2nd Floor, Yorkon Building
Archway Road
L36 9FB

Telephone: 0151 443 2300



Anyone wishing to sell items from a street stall, vehicle or trailer must obtain a Street Trading Consent from the council.

Food traders must also obtain a food registration licence from Environmental Health.

You do not need a street trading consent licence if you are:

  • Trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals

How to apply

Please download an application form and guidance notes.
For street trading consents, 10% of the total yearly fee must be submitted as a deposit, and a Basic disclosure certificate must be submitted with your application which must be no more than 30 days old. The Basic Disclosure is also a requirement for applicants for Street Trading Assistants.

For more information regarding how to obtain a Basic Disclosure, please visit the website here 



2017/18 Fees

New Street Trading Consent £700
Renewal Street Trading Consent £450
Variation of Street Trading Consent (Additional Streets) £150
Daily Rate (Mobile/ Flower /Fish Traders) £6
Street Trading Assistant £20
Change of Vehicle £30

If your application is granted you must produce a certificate of insurance of third party public liability cover for one million pounds to the Licensing Office before a consent is issued to you (and a current MOT certificate if you are trading from a vehicle) and that your business is registered with your local council if you wish to sell food.

Applications will not be considered without this evidence. All details on the application are checked and circulated to:

  • The council's Legal Practice

  • Local councillors

  • The police

  • Trading Standards

  • The Highways Authority for major roads.