Anyone wishing to sell items from a street stall or trailer must obtain a licence from the council.
Food traders must also obtain a food registration licence from Environmental Health.
You do not need a street trading consent licence if you are:
- Trading as a Pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
- A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
- A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
How to apply
Please contact us for an application form. You will need to include 10 per cent of the fee with your application.
If your application is granted you must produce a certificate of insurance of third party public liability cover for one million pounds to the Licensing Office before a consent is issued to you (and a current MOT certificate if you are trading from a vehicle) and that your business is registered with your local council if you wish to sell food.
Applications will not be considered without this evidence. All details on the application are checked and circulated to:
- The council's Legal Practice
- Local councillors
- The police
- Trading Standards
- The Highways Authority for major roads.
Fees 2010 -11
- Ice-Cream Trader £1,050 per year
- Fish Trader £1,050 per year or £9 per day or part of day
- Other Traders (Fast Food, Flower Seller, Mobile etc.) £1,050 per year or £9 per day or part of day
- Street Traders Assistants Badge £12.50 per year.
Fees 2011 -12
- Ice-Cream Trader £1,082 per year
- Fish Trader £1,082 per year or £20 per day or part of day
- Other Traders (Fast Food, Flower Seller, Mobile etc.) £1,082 per year or £20 per day or part of day
- Street Traders Assistants Badge £20 per year
- Variation to Street Trading consent £200